My first introduction to home video console games was Super Atari Pong. A pong game console, in color. The pong ball would change colors as it passed from one side on the TV screen to the other. The next console I had was the Atari 2600. After playing out the 15 games I had, I sold it to get a Commodore Vic20, with 5k ram, no hard drive. It also connected to the TV. In the back of the manual, there were games and animations you could type in and play. I was fascinated at the way you could type in commands and numbers and have shapes move around the screen, change color and even make sounds. You could also create games to play, of course I would change the variables to see what would happen. I was hooked. The only problem was I had no way of saving the files, there was a cassette tape drive you could buy separately to save games, but I could not afford it. So when the computer was turned off, I lost the program. I had to re-enter the program every time I wanted to play. This helped me with my keyboarding skills, though I still have to look at the keys.When I was in the 10th grade, the high school started a computer lab with Apple ii computers. I took two years of basic computer classes.

After high school, I went to college and majored in computer programming. I took FORTRAN, COBAL, RPG programming classes. I also took a course on this new application called Microsoft Windows. I think it also may have been a DOS class. After college, I went out in the world to find me a computer programming job. This didn’t happen, because everybody wanted someone with job experience, and I couldn’t get a job to get experience. So I ended up getting whatever job was available to make ends meet. This did not stop me from working with computers. I saved up and bought me the parts to build my own computer, back when it was cheaper to build them. I put it together and it worked, I was hooked again. I enjoyed upgrading it when I could.Fast forward 7 years ago, I finally got a computer operator job at a hospital, through a friend’s request. Two years after that, I got a computer operator job at a telephone company, running nightly backups.Still building and upgrading my own gaming PCs. Would like to take a Java class online, to keep up with current technology. I have two tablet PCs, but there is just something about a desktop and keyboard I just love.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Hey bro, You also an old school developer, I have coded like 1000000 lines of Cobol code in my career! I have my MCSD in Microsoft products, and have done a bit of development in VB, SQL 7. I recently taught my self Java from youtube videos, go check it out this guy makes it soooooo simple!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.