If your interested in recording some gameplay every now and then:

Nvidia Shadowplay: (Nvidia GTX card needed)
GPU accelerated H.264 video encoder
Records up to the last 20 minutes of gameplay in Shadow Mode
Records unlimited length video in Manual Mode
Broadcasts to Twitch
Records up to 4K resolution at 160 Mbps
Minimal performance impact
Full desktop capture (desktop GPUs only)

OBS – Open Broadcasting Software
Encoding using H264 (x264) and AAC.
Support for Intel Quick Sync Video (QSV) and NVENC.
Unlimited number of scenes and sources.
Live RTMP streaming to Twitch, YouTube, DailyMotion, Hitbox and more.
File output to MP4 or FLV.
GPU-based game capture for high performance game streaming.
DirectShow capture device support (webcams, capture cards, etc).
Windows 8 high speed monitor capture support.
Bilinear or lanczos3 resampling.

Bandicam
(Trial / $ 39)
Bandicam Game Recorder can capture your gameplay like Fraps (Fraps Alternative, Better than Fraps®)
The recorded file size is much smaller than other software (Bandicam compresses the video when recording)
You can upload the recorded gameplay to YouTube without converting (720p/1080p full HD can be made)
You can record over 24 hours without stopping (Auto Complete Recording function can be used)
You can record 4K Ultra HD video at resolutions up to 3840 x 2160 in size
You will experience much less lag than other game capture software (It uses much lower CPU/GPU/HDD)

D3DGear
D3DGear game recorder employs a high efficient recording engine, it has much less performance impact while recording.
D3DGear game recording compresses video in realtime, recorded movie file size is Much Better than Fraps.
Users are able to record main game sound as well as microphone commentary.
Can save microphone audio into separate audio track.
Supports hardware GPU encoder (AMD/Intel/Nvidia), this reduces CPU stress while recording.

Its mostly personal preference, If you have a compatible nvidia graphics card and want to keep it simple then shadowplay is a good choice. Bandicam is also quite a good one but it costs (after demo) but it makes uploading to sites like youtube easy as its already formatted correctly. OBS is really good but has a bit of a learning curve. I haven’t used D3DGear but it was recommended online as well. I think all of these besides bandicam have the option to live stream to twitch or youtube which is also nice if you want to do more. XSplit gamecaster is apparently really easy to use as well. Generally the setup will consist of setting up record / start / stop / pause hotkeys and choosing a folder to save the game recording to. If you have more than one hard drive its best to save to a drive your not running your game from to improve performance.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • If you have seen my video from SE4, getting the “Better Than the Best” achievement, I recorded it using NVIDIA’s shadow play, I noticed no lag or delay in game and it seems to play smoothly as well. I recorded 2:32 with no problems at all. It showed up on my hard disk as 52Gb of space, i used a program called “Hand Break” to recompile it , it reduced it to 1.84Gb. before i posted it., and there was no change in the video quality. Hand Break was extremely easy to use and Free to use. I tried the same with OBS and got a very jerky recording, and that was just playing it from my recording. Just my experience.

• Yeah I posted this almost 2 years ago so it’s might be a little outdated but I still use Nvidia Shadowplay myself – the relatively new Nvidia Highlights feature is great. If you don’t know what Nvidia Highlights is it auto records different ‘highlights’. So in PUBG for example it will record all your knockouts/kills/deaths then provide an interface to select which highlights to either edit the length of or save/upload to youtube directly.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.